Segments are dynamic. This means the data is constantly updating. Simply set the criteria, save the Segment, and it will auto-update whenever any Contact meets the set criteria.
Segments can be built from any data including geographical, transactional and behavioural. The more information you collect and store, the more options you'll have when segmenting your audience. For instance, you might like to segment your Contacts based on their different levels of engagement with your emails, or you might like to segment based on what device they open your email campaigns on.
Segments are best used for campaigns in which you plan on sending more than once to a certain list of contacts that changes and gets updated frequently. As time goes on, your Segments will automatically adjust to your changing volume of contacts. This saves you having to create a new list every time you want to email a specific Segment and keeps the list fresh and up to date in real time.
The Segments area of Contacts
The Segments area is where you have the ability to create and manage your Segments. The Explorer area in the top half of the screen gives you a list of all the Segments that you have saved in your account. Clicking on a Segment shows you the Contacts that currently meet its criteria.
How to create a Segment
1. On the Segments screen click the ‘New Segment’ button
2. Step 1: Name - Give your Segment a name (you can change this at any time)
3. Click the ‘Next: Description’ button.
4. Step 2: Description - Give your Segment a short description (optional)
5. Click the ‘Next: Choose Group’ button.
6. Step 3: Choose Group - Select which data you would like to create your Segment from. You can base your Segment on a single Group or all your Contacts.
NOTE: You cannot change this choice after saving your Segment. You would need to make a new Segment if you wanted to base your Segment on a different Group of data.
7. Click the ‘Next: Dynamic Filters’ button.
8. Step 4: Dynamic Filters - Using the filter options, set the criteria you want for your Segment. For example, you might want this Segment to contain everyone whose city is London and/or anyone who has opened your campaigns in the last 60 days. Set as many filters as you wish. These can be edited later if you find for instance that the criteria applied is resulting in a smaller number of Contacts than you would like.
9. Click the green ‘Save & Close Segment’ button at the top right of the screen.
Any Contacts in your selected data (e.g. the Group you chose as the basis of your segment) will be eligible for your new Segment, at any given time. Likewise any subsequently uploaded Contact whose data or behaviour meets the saved criteria will automatically be added to the Segment.
How to view a saved Segment
1. Go to Segments area in the Contacts section of your account.
2. In the top half of the screen, you will see your saved Segments.
Segments are automatically shown in A-Z order by name but can be re-ordered using the ‘Sort by’ dropdown.
Each Segment listed shows details of how many Contacts currently meet the Segment’s criteria, and how many dynamic filters are saved within the Segment.
Each Segment has an ‘Edit’ button and a ‘Delete’ button when you mouse over it (see How to edit a Segment).
3. Click on a Segment. The dashed border will stay green when selected and the details of the Contacts that currently meet the criteria of the Segment will be loaded into the table in the lower half of the screen.
4. The table tab shows the name of the Segment along with a count of how many Contacts currently meet the criteria. The green-backed icons show you how many filters are saved within the Segment, and if they are data, behaviour or custom tag filters. There is also a button on the tab that lets you toggle between part and full table view for easy access to see a larger number of records on screen at any time.
How to edit the criteria of a Segment
1. On the Segments screen, click to select a Segment
2. The Contacts that currently meet the criteria (filters) of the Segment will load into the table below.
3. Click the ‘Show Dynamic Filters’ button to see which filters are currently saved in the Segment.
4. Update your dynamic filters by editing or deleting existing ones and/or adding more. The table below will update to reflect the Contacts that currently meet the criteria as you go.
5. When you are ready to save the changes, click the ‘Save & Close Segment’ button.
6. If you decide not to save changes and wish to abandon them, move away from this screen and a confirmation will appear for you to confirm you want to navigate away without saving the changes.
How to edit a saved Segment’s name and/or description
1. Hover over the Segment you wish to edit so the border goes green
2. Click the ‘Edit’ button on the top right of the Segment to open the Segment Card.
3. In the Segment Card, you can rename your Segment and change its description.
4. Changes will be auto-saved. Click the ‘Close’ button when all changes have been made.
5. The ‘Details’ tab also shows you non-editable information about the Segment:
a. A count of how many Contacts the Segment contains at this particular moment
b. How many suppressed Contacts the Segment contains at this particular moment
c. Which Group the Segment is based on (either a Group or All Contacts)
d. The date the Segment was created
e. The Segment's ID number
6. The ‘Criteria’ tab is a means for a quick look up of the dynamic filters that define your Segment.
How to remove a Segment
1. Hover over the Segment you wish to remove so the border goes green
2. Click the ‘Remove’ button on the bottom right
3. Click the ‘Confirm Remove’ button.
Please note… Removing a Segment does not remove the Contacts associated with it. They will remain in your account, associated with other Segments if applicable.
Also…If you have scheduled any campaigns to send to a Segment, removing it will not cancel these campaigns.
For more information (including screenshots) and a downloadable copy of this guide please visit 'How to...Segments'